Caregiving for a loved one can be an emotionally challenging task. Not only is it often a 24/7 job, but it can be especially difficult to find a balance between providing and caring for your loved one and maintaining your own physical and emotional well-being.
Here are 5 tips to help you as a caregiver
1. Keep records: Keeping track of your loved one’s doctor visits, medications, symptoms, and eating habits will help you better manage their care. Strong records keeping is essential if you share care responsibilities with another family member or professional caregiver.
2. Educate Yourself: This will help you anticipate potential problems or side effects and prepare for unforeseen challenges in your role as a caregiver
3. Understand the insurance: Know the limitations and allowances of your loved one’s health insurance. This will help you navigate difficult topics such as reimbursement, specialist co-pays, and respite care.
4. Plan ahead: Talk with your loved one about his or her final wishes. This are difficult conversations to have, but both you and your loved one will appreciate the peace of mind, knowing that plans for their future are in place
5. Take care of yourself: This will allow you time to recharge, both physically and emotionally. You want to be there for your loved one, but in order to do that, you need to care for yourself as well
Love Thy Neighbor Home Care Services is a comprehensive home care agency licensed by the Georgia Department of Community Health has provided the highest quality care for the elderly. Contact us today to see how our compassionate, dedicated caregivers can help provide the additional support for your loved one. Call us now at 678-892-9118 and speak with us about how we can meet your needs.
Leave a Reply